On this page:
This program in teaching Music is designed to provide the graduate level credentials to allow high school teachers to teach college level music courses in their high schools through College Credit Plus (CCP). In addition, teachers completing this program will meet the Ohio Department of Higher Education (ODHE) standards for eligibility to teach courses in Ohio public community colleges and universities.
Secondary music teachers who wish to pursue the teaching credential/certificate must submit to the Graduate School the following:
- Non-degree application for the graduate College Credit Plus High School Teacher Credential Program (PDF)
- Proof of current Ohio Multi-Age (PK-12) Music license
- An official transcript showing the award of a bachelor’s degree in music
- An official transcript showing the award of a Master’s degree in any field, unless from Wright State
The application form must be completed with all required documents attached. The form when completed must be signed and dated. All application materials become the property of the Graduate School and cannot be returned.
Send application materials to:
344 Student Union
3640 Colonel Glenn Hwy
Dayton, OH 45435-0001
Students must complete the following program of courses, (three credit hours each).
- MUS 7140: Teaching Music Appreciation
- MUS 6010: Introduction to Graduate Studies in Music
- MUS 6650: Computer Applications in Music
- MUS 7040: Foundations and Principles in Music Education
- MUS 6460: Medieval and Renaissance Music
- MUS 6470: Baroque Music
- MUS 6480: Classical and Romantic Music
- MUS 6490: Music since 1900
- MUS 7330: Analytic Techniques I
- MUS 7340: Analytic Techniques II
- MUS 7350: Analytic Techniques III for Music Education
Total: 18 semester credit hours
Due to the construction for the Creative Arts Center expansion, this program will start in Fall 2016.
- MUS 7140, 6010, and 6650 will be available online Fall 2016.
- MUS 7350 will be available online Summer 2017.
- MUS 7040 will be available online Fall 2017. The School of Music may approve substitutions if any courses are not available when needed for credential completion.