Coronavirus Update

Classes will be held remotely for the remainder of the spring semester, and all official university events and student activities are suspended until further notice. While the Dayton and Lake campuses remain open, access to campus is restricted to personnel who have been identified as essential. Read more.

Special Instructions for Furniture Moves

All furniture moves must be submitted by telephone (8365), email, or fax (8309) to the Buildings and Grounds Manager at least two weeks in advance of the needed furniture move. Buildings and Grounds will review the request and determine the number of hours required and the availability of the movers.  Within three days of receiving the request, Buildings and Grounds will advise the requesting department of Buildings and Ground’s availability to perform the furniture move.

Customer Responsibilities

  • Empty all bookcases, storage cabinets, and lateral files to be moved.
  • Clear off the tops of all desks, files, credenzas, etc, that will be moved.
  • If the desk has an L-return, the return must be emptied in order to detach it from the desk before moving. The Buildings and Grounds moving crew will assume the responsibility for removing the L-return and other minor work needed to complete furniture moving.
  • If a desk is to be taken through a doorway or other narrow area, which will require the desk to be tilted, in addition to moving items off the top, please remove materials inside the desk.
  • Disconnect all computers and peripherals and move them.  Buildings and Grounds Movers are not responsible for computers and technical equipment.  Please call Technical Services for computer moves (8387).

Moves that Will Typically Incur Charge Backs to the Requesting Department

  • Emergency requests, late requests, or moves that cannot be accomplished during normal working hours, which are 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., Monday – Friday.
  • Moving required as part of a customer-requested minor construction, renovation, or refurbishment project.  Customers should get a quote on costs before the project begins.
  • Moving needed as a result of a university-requested relocation, when it is beyond the expertise or availability of the Buildings and Grounds moving crew.
  • Off-Campus moves that require leaving campus for pick up and return to campus.

Moves that Will Typically Require the Services of an Outside Moving Company or Contractor

  • Moving requests that require specialized knowledge or moving equipment due to excessive size and weight, such as pianos.
  • Moving requests that involve equipment, computers, printers, or other highly technical or expensive items.
  • Moving requests that require more than four hours to complete will be contracted to an outside source.  These moves will be administered through the Purchasing Department in 301 University Hall.  Requestors are encouraged to contact the Purchasing Department at (2411) in advance of any needed moves for proper scheduling and estimated costs.